Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Internal Number: 101796-en_US
Bloomberg Center for Government Excellence (GovEx) is hiring a Senior Advisor, Economic Mobility who is core to the implementation of data management, performance management, and advanced analytics technical assistance to numerous local governments across GovEx's portfolio focused on Economic Mobility. Senior Advisors play a critical role delivering world class client services and resources to city leadership that includes providing direct technical assistance and coaching to cities focused on improving resident outcomes with measurable impact, facilitating trainings, and developing resources GovEx defines economic mobility as the following.
What is considered the American Dream — a promising education, a job that pays a living wage, homeownership, and retirement — is attainable only for some in the United States. Economic mobility — or the prospect of improving one's income relative to the income of one's parents — is hindered by a historical inability of underserved populations to accumulate and transfer wealth. Those who do not have the wealth of upper-income families are not able to recover from shocks like the Great Recession as quickly. For other families, events far smaller than a recession can jolt the household. Income and wealth are not the whole story behind these gaps and GovEx aims to work with City leaders' stakeholders to evaluate existing policies and use data and evidence to improve economic mobility for individuals and families.
Senior Advisors provide support to the Practice Manager - Economic Mobility in coordinating and implementing technical assistance projects and efforts with public sector leaders and mid-level staff, including coordinating efforts with mayors' offices, city leadership, and other stakeholders. GovEx Senior Advisors are subject matter experts experienced in government operations, program, and service delivery, who guide the research and analysis necessary to determine a client's capabilities to use data and evidence in decision-making and operational functions. Senior Advisors work hand-in-hand with city leadership to build and advance its data management, performance, and data analytics practices.
This position reports to the Practice Manager - Economic Mobility, working closely to properly scope, develop appropriate project plans, develop a theory-of-change for projects, using data and evidence to select metrics, evaluate disparate impacts and policy interventions that lead to measurable results. Senior Advisors will collaborate with internal and external partners and staff responsible for training, applied research, technology, knowledge management, monitoring evaluation, and communications.
The selected candidate must possess a proven track record of success in the public sector, be a subject-matter-expert in Economic Mobility. Senior Advisors must have experience coaching and/or providing technical assistance to mayors or c-suite leaders. We are seeking a highly skilled visionary with a strong knowledge and background in policy and data practices. In addition to real-world experience working in the public sector with mayors and c-suite leaders, the Senior Advisor must be a strong leader with excellent management and communication skills. Bloomberg Center for Government Excellence is committed to working with communities that are focused on ending legacies of structural, entrenched racism and oppression. Senior Advisors must be willing to think about reimagined government, knowledge, and engagement models through the lens of dismantling these legacies.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
Coaching & Technical Assistance (55%)
- Provide direct, on-the-ground technical assistance to government practitioners implementing data management, performance management, and data analytics programs.
- Work with Practice Manager to scoping, develop project plans and technical assistance day-to-day operations, including coordinating with internal staff, holding weekly meetings, and working with external partners.
- Serve as a subject matter and political context expert, particularly in relation to Economic Mobility, Healthy Communities, and Operations & Infrastructure.
- Support the Practice Manager in developing a repository on best practices and new trends in the data usage by governments researching policy interventions.
- Collaborate with the Training team to develop curriculum and resources to support workshops, trainings, and courses.
- Facilitate on-site and virtual trainings and workshops held with academic, government, or nonprofit partners.
- Supervise data analysis and maintenance.
- Support the Practice Manager in development of materials presenting trends and results seen among GovEx's public sector clients.
- Supervise data analysis and maintenance.
- Other duties as assigned.
Internal & External Relations (35%)
- Manage day-to-day relationships and communications with cities and other stakeholders.
- Facilitate city-to-city collaborative learning and other peer networking opportunities.
- Identify and recruit new government partners for technical assistance and training.
- Work in collaborative teams.
- Partner with internal and external stakeholders to implement grant deliverables, timelines, outcomes, and impact.
Project Management (10%)
- Lead technical assistance projects assigned by the Practice Manager, with support from the Practice Manager and Deputy Director in coordinating and implementing technical assistance projects, including regular meetings with external partners on deliverables, timelines, outcomes, and impact.
- Assist Practice Manager and Deputy Director in aligning service delivery model with priority areas.
- Support the Practice Manager and Deputy Director to develop short-term and long-term strategies and objectives, and detail the progress and status of various priorities with partner organizations, funders, and staff.
- Assist Practice Manager in defining clear goals for technical assistance and measuring progress towards those goals in coordination with Civic Impact's Monitoring & Evaluation team.
- Identify new opportunities to improve internal processes that allow the successful implementation GovEx's service delivery model into the OA.
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Capacity to thrive in relationships with leaders in the civic sector.
- Ability to represent GovEx, Centers for Government Excellence and Public Innovation, and its partners before mayors and other government officials.
- Strong understanding of quantitative research methods, and the ability to work with and understand, complex datasets.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and manage external stakeholders and workflows.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, and WordPress.
- Familiarity with learning management systems, particularly TalentLMS.
- Experience conducting analysis using Excel, R, Tableau, or other visualization tools.
- Experience using project management and collaboration tools such as Slack.
- Excellent written, presentation, and research skills.
- Commitment to a collegial workplace.
- Capacity to work independently and in a result-oriented work environment.
- Knowledge of how to create data visualizations in D3.js, RStudio, or Tableau.
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services.
- Familiarity with Geospatial Information Systems (GIS) such as ArcGIS or QGIS.
- Master's Degree in related discipline.
- One year related experience.
- Additional education may substitute for required experience, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
- PhD in related discipline.
- Five years related.
- Experience working in public policy, public administration, non-profit or a related field.
- Undergraduate degree required, graduate degree in public administration, public policy, or a similar field is preferred.
Classified Title: Sr. Research Data Analyst
Working Title: Senior Advisor, Economic Mobility
Starting Salary Range: $54,080- $74,390- $94,710(Commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Mon-Fri / 7.5 hours daily
Exempt Status: Exempt
Department name: 60006654-Ctrs for Govt Excellence & Public Innova
Personnel area: Academic and Business Centers
The referenced salary range is based on Johns Hopkins University's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level. Johns Hopkins offers a total rewards package that supports our employees' health, life, career and retirement. More information can be found here: https://hr.jhu.edu/benefits-worklife/
Please refer to the job description above to see which forms of equivalency are permitted for this position. If permitted, equivalencies will follow these guidelines:
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
**Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check. Johns Hopkins is committed to hiring individuals with a justice-involved background, consistent with applicable policies and current practice. A prior criminal history does not automatically preclude candidates from employment at Johns Hopkins University. In accordance with applicable law, the university will review, on an individual basis, the date of a candidate's conviction, the nature of the conviction and how the conviction relates to an essential job-related qualification or function.
The Johns Hopkins University values diversity, equity and inclusion and advances these through our key strategic framework, the JHU Roadmap on Diversity and Inclusion.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
EEO is the Law
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711. For more information about workplace accommodations or accessibility at Johns Hopkins University, please visit accessibility.jhu.edu.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.