The Senior Editor is responsible for producing high-quality stories[JAW1] about corporate governance and in support of NACD’s education programming. The Senior Editor works closely with the editor in chief to create and edit both magazine stories and web content that will engage our 21,000+ director members and readers and inform our mission to educate directors and officers of private, public, and nonprofit entities. This role requires creativity, excellent writing, editing, interview, and presentation skills, as well as a demonstrable passion for storytelling.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Collaborates with the editor in chief and research team to conceive each issue of the magazine while contributing both in-depth cover-caliber stories and shorter form blogs and articles related to the boardroom, its directors, and corporate governance.
· Demonstrates a working knowledge of journalistic principals and techniques while consistently striving for accuracy.
· Communicates complex corporate governance and business topics in a manner that is clear and intelligible while building upon a network of sources to inform reporting.
· Supports the research team in collaborative efforts while also demonstrating an acute ability to develop and deliver high-quality content independently.
· Manages and adheres to all editorial content publication deadlines.
· Produces articles from raw manuscripts to final pages in collaboration with editorial including design and contributing writers.
· Creates cutting-edge and future-oriented content and stories across visual, audio, social media and digital platforms that considers the engagement of our members in a strategic fashion.
· Manages multiple on-going editorial projects with careful consideration and strong outlook for both short and long-term values and plans.
· Serves as an ambassador for the magazine both internally at NACD as well as through external representation at director-oriented events and conferences.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
A bachelor’s degree and at least five years of journalism experience and a writing portfolio or clips as well as online experience is required. Must be familiar with InDesign and content management systems, and highly proficient in copy editing, proofreading, and adherence to the Chicago Manual of Style.
General business, accounting, or legal reporting experience is a plus.
Why Work at NACD?
NACD is committed to fostering a corporate culture that engages, inspires, and challenges its employees. The organization values energetic dialogue, creative thinking, and innovative problem-solving. Employees at all levels are given a voice on how to best serve NACD members and deliver on the mission of the association. We offer a generous benefits package and a positive, collegial workplace atmosphere in a metro-accessible location.
Our office is located in Arlington, VA--just one block from the Courthouse Metro Station. NACD does not pay for expenses related to relocation.
If interested, submit your résumé to https://www.nacdonline.org/about/careers.cfm?itemnumber=49120 No calls, please.
About National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD)
The National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD) empowers more than 20,000 directors to lead with confidence in the boardroom, helping world-class public, private, and nonprofit companies to navigate an increasingly complex business environment. NACD cultivates the professional development of its members through educational courses and events, published research, briefings on current and emerging issues, and strategic advisory services.