VP, Product Management, National Geographic Expeditions
Fox Networks Group
September 25, 2018
Full Time - Experienced
National Geographic National Geographic Partners LLC (NGP), a joint venture between National Geographic and 21st Century Fox, is committed to bringing the world premium science, adventure and exploration content across an unrivaled portfolio of media assets. NGP combines the global National Geographic television channels (National Geographic Channel, Nat Geo WILD, Nat Geo MUNDO, Nat Geo PEOPLE) with National Geographic’s media and consumer-oriented assets, including National Geographic magazines; National Geographic studios; related digital and social media platforms; books; maps; children’s media; and ancillary activities that include travel, global experiences and events, archival sales, licensing and e-commerce businesses. Furthering knowledge and understanding of our world has been the core purpose of National Geographic for 129 years, and now we are committed to going deeper, pushing boundaries, going further for our consumers … and reaching millions of people around the world in 172 countries and 43 languages every month as we do it. NGP returns 27 percent of our proceeds to the nonprofit National Geographic Society to fund work in the areas of science, exploration, conservation and education. For more information visit natgeotv.com or nationalgeographic.com, or find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, YouTube, LinkedIn and Pinterest. JOB DESCRIPTION The Vice President, Programming for National Geographic Expeditions will lead all aspects of the development and management of multiple product lines within the National Geographic Expeditions portfolio. This includes program development and management, partner development and management, contract negotiations, customer service and experience, sales and marketing input, and business development support. The VP, Programming will have oversight for the development of unique programs that leverage the National Geographic editorial and mission resources, contacts, and content and they will analyze the marketplace to identify opportunities and to assess positioning of National Geographic offerings versus offerings by the competition. Position will have overall responsibility for the P&L for each product line, and for oversight of strategic partnerships with Lindblad Expeditions, G Adventures and other tour operator partners.
* Development and management of product portfolios
* Oversight of all aspects of programming partner relations, including trip development and selection, contract negotiations, inventory and pricing, and ongoing relationship management
* Development of strong and mutually-beneficial partnerships with strategic partners that bring unique travel offerings to National Geographic’s varied demographic
* Oversight of trip and guest experience to ensure high standards across tour operator partners so that trips meet and exceed traveler’s high expectations of the National Geographic Travel Program
* Manage the P&L performance of applicable Expeditions product lines to achieve current FY budget targets for net revenue and gross profit
* Manage the NPS results for applicable Expeditions programs to achieve annual customer satisfaction goals
* Oversee all external partnership management and contract negotiations
* Develop and manage a high-performing team of 7 individuals
* Provide input on sales & marketing strategy, customer service and experience, international expansion, and business development
* Support international expansion and business development initiatives as needed
* Provide input on bringing the call center function fully in house
* Launch new product lines per schedule
* Direct all Legal & risk management activities for Expeditions
* Bachelor’s Degree required; MBA a plus. Minimum ten (10) years of experience in a senior management role in the travel industry
* Prior experience with contract negotiations and external partnership management required
* English, excellent communication and interpersonal skills with strong attention to detail
* Ability to develop and manage bottoms-up budgets by program and product line
* Strong analytical skills and business acumen required
* Knowledge of Microsoft Office (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.)
* Strong leader with a proven track record of developing and managing a high-performing team
* Ability to multi-task and juggle competing priorities
* Self-directed and well organized
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
About Fox Networks Group
The National Geographic Channels form the television and production arm of National Geographic Partners, a joint venture between 21st Century Fox and the National Geographic Society. As a global leader in premium science, adventure and exploration programming, the Channels include: National Geographic Channel (NGC), Nat Geo WILD, Nat Geo People and Nat Geo MUNDO.
Additionally, the Channels also run the in-house television production unit, National Geographic Studios. The Channels contribute to the National Geographic Society’s commitment to exploration, conservation and education with entertaining, innovative programming from A-level talent around the world, as well as with profits that help support the society’s mission. Globally, NGC is available in more than 440 million homes in 171 countries and 45 languages, and Nat Geo WILD is available in 131 countries and 38 languages. National Geographic Partners also is a leader in social media with a fan base of 250 million people across all of its social pages. NGC is comprised of more than 55 million social media fans globally on Facebook alone.