Title: Communications Coordinator
Reports to: Director, Public Relations and Communications
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Revised: April 2017
The American College of Medical Genetics and Genomics (ACMG) is a national medical organization composed of biochemical, clinical, cytogenetic, medical and molecular geneticists, genetic counselors and other healthcare professionals committed to the practice of medical genetics. The ACMG was incorporated in 1991 to give national representation to providers of genetic services and their patients with genetic disorders and to speak for the emerging specialty of medical genetics in organizations and agencies concerned with medical service, certification, and regulatory issues. The ACMG provides education, resources, and a voice for the medical genetics profession and its mission is to improve health through genetics. The educational and public health programs of the ACMG are dependent upon charitable gifts from corporations, foundations, and individuals through the ACMG Foundation for Genetic and Genomic Medicine.
The field of genetics and genomics is a rapidly evolving discipline and ACMG serves a leading voice for the field. As a member of the ACMG Communications and Public Relations team, the Communications Coordinator provides administrative support to the Director of Communications by managing, creating, and disseminating newsworthy information across a variety of communication platforms. This role works closely with the Meetings, Membership, Foundation, and Education departments to develop consistent and relevant promotional information for the ACMG website, membership correspondence, as well as monthly electronic and print newsletters. The Communications Coordinator also works with outside designers and vendors under the supervision of the Director to ensure branding, deadlines and quality standards are met.
- Excellent proofreading and editing skills, strong written and oral communication skills and the
ability to communicate in writing via email in a professional manner.
- Outstanding administrative, project and time management skills. In all activities; superior organization, accuracy, superb attention to detail, thoroughness, discretion, maturity and an ability to manage frequent, multiple deadlines are of utmost importance.
- Technical Capacity: high proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint; as well as in Adobe Acrobat.
- Proficiency in digital marketing platforms (i.e. Informz), membership database (i.e. iMIS) and social media platforms are preferred.
- Ability to work efficiently and independently as well as with a team in a very fast-paced environment, working with a variety of departments and all levels of the organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, or Business is preferred.
- At least two (2) years of related work experience in a communications or public relations, administrative or support role.
- Experience in an association, nonprofit, medical society, university or hospital setting preferred.
- A passion and genuine interest in the field of genetics, science or health.
- Ability to maintain composure and a positive attitude under deadline and thrives on managing multiple projects and deadlines.
- Coordinates and manages the electronic mailings, calendar and the monthly electronic newsletter, “the Ezine”.
- Coordinates and manages the development of the ACMG Medical Geneticist Newsmagazine.
Specific duties include: coordination of conference calls and drafting of minutes, development and monitoring of publications calendar, distribution of the call for article submissions, and communication with article authors.
- Manages the article editing and proofing process, provides materials to the graphic designer and
manages deadlines and electronic distribution of the newsmagazine.
- Supports public and media relations by drafting, formatting, proofreading and disseminating news releases and announcements. Maintains the media database and press clip book, composes and sends e-blasts to the media.
- Supports communication activities related to the ACMG Annual Meeting by creating press kits, sending media blasts, assisting in social media content creation, formatting all meeting related press releases and working the ACMG booth/press room during the event.
- Assists with updates and backups of the ACMG and ACMGF websites.
- Administrative duties as assigned including; assisting in scheduling conference calls, back-up support for the front desk.
- Other projects as assigned.
Please send your resume and cover letter, with salary requirements, and a writing sample in attachment form to email@example.com with the subject line, “ACMGF Communications Coordinator.” Only competitive candidates will be contacted and invited to participate in the selection process. No phone calls please. Applications are accepted until the position is filled.
ACMG Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.