PETERSON INSTITUTE FOR INTERNATIONAL ECONOMICS
January 12, 2017
Job Title: Multimedia and Digital Writer/Producer
Department: Publications and Communications
Reports to: Vice President for Publications and Communications
FLSA Status: Exempt/Full-Time
The Peterson Institute for International Economics (PIIE) is a private, nonprofit, nonpartisan public policy research institute devoted to the study of international economic policy. Since 1981 the Institute has promoted public understanding of international economic problems with timely and objective analysis and concrete solutions.
The Institute seeks a highly motivated video and storytelling professional to lead and assist in the production of lively and sophisticated digital and multimedia communications for our website and other distribution channels. Applicants may have an undergraduate degree in journalism, video and film production, public relations, marketing, graphic design, communications, or related fields, and at least two years of relevant work experience.
The applicant should ideally have experience with writing, producing, and designing video material, including visual or documentary journalism, videography, audio production, motion graphics, animation, visual aids, slideshows, maps, podcasts, GIFs, etc. Strong research, writing, and storytelling skills in these A/V formats are required, as are interpersonal skills enabling the person in this position to work with economists and research staff to create informative, compelling, and accessible content on global economic issues. The ideal candidate should have an interest in global economic policy and be able to work closely with world class experts to help them communicate their research product to a broader audience by utilizing compelling and accessible multimedia formats.
Salary expectations will be commensurate with qualifications and skills this person brings to the position. PIIE offers an exceptional benefits package, including health insurance, and opportunities for tuition reimbursement for additional training and education in relevant fields and skills. The person will work under the direction of the Vice President for Publications and Communications.
Essential responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Developing and producing visual and multimedia content to deliver research and information to the general public about international economic policy issues.
- Writing or editing scripts and working closely with the PIIE motion graphics specialist to produce rich storytelling content for various platforms.
- Helping to oversee video production of interviews in the PIIE studio and at PIIE events, with goal of editing the material in shorter form for accessibility and impact.
- Working with PIIE communications specialist and media liaison to monitor news cycle and flag topics of timely concern.
- Working with web analytics team to track media pickups, searches, and citations to improve focus, understanding, clarity, and impact.
- Writing teaser and summary language to accompany site content, prepared in conjunction with research and communications staff, and suggesting accompanying images or charts.
- Working with external vendors and professionals and with news media covering PIIE issues and using PIIE-produced materials at their request.
- Helping to train and educate colleagues on the value of rich media storytelling, editing, podcasting, etc.
- Managing day-to-day production schedules and tracking of deliverables
- Offering ideas to enhance and grow PIIE’s presence in social media, multimedia outlets, and other independent disseminators of content in the media world
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, marketing, communications, or related field
- At least two years of relevant work experience
- Strong technical skills in video and audio production design, editing and shooting at events and in studio
- Demonstrated effective/strong communication skills (verbal, written, and listening) and excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills at all levels of business and internal and external customer service
- Ability to distill complex messages into clear and concise language
- Proficiency with Adobe Premiere, After Effects, and the full Adobe Creative Cloud suite including Audition, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Ease with multitasking in a busy, high-volume environment and an ability to effectively manage time, adapt to changing priorities, prioritize tasks, and work within deadlines in a fast-changing news and information environment
- Track record of media success through multiple platforms
- Understanding and experience in a range of storytelling approaches
- Interest in economic issues or learning about such issues a major plus
- Nonprofit background a plus
This person will regularly have to quickly move from floor to floor, tracking down senior fellows, and working with other members of the publications and communications team. This person will also typically sit at a desk for extended periods throughout the day and use a computer, camera, advanced software to produce these materials. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment is moderately open with a combination of cubicles and offices. The noise level will vary from quiet to loud. The office, lavatories, and building are all handicapped accessible. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Monday through Friday – 40 hours per week. Must be able to work on a flexible schedule based on the needs of the position.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Salary level subject to discussion based on experience, background, current salary, and skills of applicant. Send resume, cover letter, samples of creative output, and references to the Director of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Multimedia and Digital Writer/Producer” in the subject line.
No telephone calls please.