USRA is an independent, nonprofit research corporation where the combined efforts of in-house talent and university-based expertise merge to advance space science and technology. USRA works across disciplines including biomedicine, planetary science, astrophysics, and engineering and integrates those competencies into applications ranging from fundamental research to facility management and operations. USRA engages the creativity and authoritative expertise of the research community to develop and deliver sophisticated, forward-looking solutions to Federal agencies and other customers - on schedule and within budget.
USRA is seeking an Advisory Contracts Specialist with active responsibility for the Goddard Business Center located in Columbia, MD. This position will be responsible for strategic thinking and process improvement, in addition to possessing strong contracts skills. This position will apply comprehensive knowledge of grants and cooperative agreements with IDIQ contract characteristics and subcontracts management leading to one or more complex programs as assigned. Under limited direction, perform the most complex work associated with contracting, subcontracting and procurement services for USRA. Strong leadership skills in capture/new proposal efforts/ business development, including nondisclosure agreements, teaming agreements and, ideally consortia. Capable of serving as a team lead, advising, mentoring and developing other contract specialists if required. Has the ability to provide assistance to the Director of Contracts and Compliance in legal and strategic areas where needed.
Duties and Responsibities:
- Provides specialized level in contract and grant administration, including all phases of cooperative/grant/contracts life cycle, including closeout.
- Serve as the lead on proposal negotiation teams.
- Provides analysis of cooperative, contract and grant requirements for multiple major programs of considerable complexity.
- Capable of strategic thinking and providing advice to the Director, Business Manager and personnel for the Goddard Based programs and in business development areas, as assigned, on a mostly independent basis.
- Draft and prepares the most complex RFPs, RFIs and complicated bid documents for subcontractors. Capable of independent or semi-independent evaluation of proposals and proposal documents. Negotiates subcontracts and any subsequent changes thereto.
- Negotiates proposal for new business and initial awards or changes to existing contracts.
- Monitor awarded major cooperative agreement with multiple task orders and individual grants to assure on-time delivery of CA/grant requirements, financials management and customer reviews and monitoring to address potential increase/changes in the scope of work that may necessitate submittal of proposals to recognize schedule and price increases.
- Reviews terms and conditions received from customers and analyze risk; makes recommendations for revisions with occasional access to legal support.
- Develops general special and financial contractual and financial provisions for subawards or subcontracts to ensure maximum benefit to USRA and minimization of risk. Depending on complexity of transaction, may develop and provide drafts of contracts, subcontracts and other agreements for review as to legal form.
- Ensures conformance with the terms and conditions of major prime contracts, including delivery of reports, and adherence to cost and schedule constraints.
- Ensures accessibility and accuracy of management systems data, including cost tracking, milestones, and potential risks.
- Provides guidance and support to procurement function on assigned programs as required.
- Responsible for oversight of Government property and customer-furnished property requirements for assigned programs.
- Serves as an expert resource on U.S. grant regulations, FAR, DFARS and NASA PRs, USRA policies, business processes and procedures to assigned programs.
- Local authority to initiate/execute subawards, teaming agreements and nondisclosure agreements, with ability to draft and negotiate same with minimal legal assistance provided where needed.
- Monitors compliance with OCI and export control requirements.
- Helps with the submittal and tracking of new invention reporting and possess substantial knowledge of intellectual property regulations and laws sufficient to assist with the monitoring of joint ownership agreements and licensing arrangements in conjunction with NASA.
- Significant experience in interpreting and drafting or adapting complex contractual provisions, procedures and regulations desirable.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized university or college, with degree or major coursework in business administration or finance or other closely related field.
- J.D., MPA or MBA highly desirable and may be substituted for 3 of the years of required experience.
- Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for education on a year for year basis.
- CPCM or CFCM certification through NCMA highly desirable.
- Working knowledge of ITAR/EAR and intellectual property laws and regulations desirable.
- Significant experience in the management of major subawards and subcontracts required.
- Familiarity with laws, regulations and rules associated with contract development, administration, termination and closeouts required, especially including the FAR.
- Experience with Cooperative Agreements and other assistance agreements essential.
- 15-plus years’ experience
- Ability to multitask and prioritize a moderate to heavy workload with light supervision.
- Microsoft Office Suite, with emphasis on Word, PowerPoint, Excel. Good spreadsheet skills are essential.
- Familiarity with Deltek Costpoint 7 or comparable enterprise management. Financial systems highly desirable.
- Good telecommunications, oral and written communications, negotiating and presentation skills are vital
Applicants should apply to the posting at https://usracareers.silkroad.com/ and include a letter of interest, resume, or curriculum vita. Review of candidates will begin immediately. Additional information on USRA can be found at www.usra.edu.
USRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity