Specific Duties & Responsibilities
Reporting to CEF’s Board of Trustees, the Executive Director is directly responsible for managing all elements of the Foundation’s operations, hiring and supervising staff, establishing the budget, and implementing programs authorized by the Board of Trustees. In addition, the Executive Director will be responsible for the following specific duties and responsibilities:
Program Development and Administration
- Assure that the organization has a long-range strategy which achieves its mission and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress.
- Provide leadership in developing program, organizational and financial plans with the Board of Trustees and staff and carry out plans and policies authorized by the Board.
- Establish goals for and with direct reports to meet long term goals of organization.
- Promote active and broad participation by volunteers in all areas of the organization's work.
- Oversee the maintenance of official records and documents and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the educational and nonprofit fields.
- See that the Board is kept fully informed on the condition of the organization and all important factors influencing it.
- Publicize the activities of the organization, its programs and goals.
- Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community groups and organizations.
- Represent the programs and point of view of the organization to agencies, organizations, and the general public.
- Be responsible for the recruitment, employment, and release of all personnel, both paid staff and volunteers.
- Ensure that job descriptions are developed, that regular performance evaluations are held, and that sound human resource practices are in place.
- See that an effective management team, with appropriate provision for succession, is in place.
- Encourage staff and volunteer development and education and assist program staff in relating their specialized work to the total program of the organization.
- Maintain a positive climate which attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse staff of top quality people.
- Work closely with the Director of Strategic Partnerships & Engagement to grow organization revenue, aggressively going after foundations with similar stated goals in education.
- Be responsible for developing and maintaining sound financial practices.
- Work with the staff, Funding & Investment Committee, and the Board in preparing a budget and ensure that the organization operates within budget guidelines.
- Ensure that adequate funds are available to permit the organization to carry out and expand its work.
- Jointly, with the President, Vice President, Secretary, and legal counsel of the Board of Trustees, conduct official correspondence of the organization, and jointly, with designated officers, execute legal documents.