1. Leading Change. Demonstrated ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Includes the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
2. Leading People. Demonstrated ability to lead people toward meeting the organization’s vision, mission, and goals. Includes the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
3. Results-Driven Leadership. Demonstrated ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Includes the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
4. Business Acumen. Demonstrated ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
5. Building Coalitions. Demonstrated ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
1. Ph.D. or equivalent professional experience, or a combination of education and equivalent experience, in astronomical sciences or a closely related field.
2. Substantial research contributions and strong evidence of scholarship in areas related to astronomical sciences as evidenced by publications, innovative leadership in research administration, and professional leadership and awards in these technical areas.
3. Skill in balancing complex and diverse program demands and available resources in response to major advances or changing needs of science and engineering research and technology, including the management, oversight or leadership of large scientific facilities or projects.
4. Broad understanding of universities and other institutions where research and education in science and engineering is conducted including knowledge of grant administration and fiscal management with experience in astronomical sciences support.