Reporting to the Vice President, Membership, Meetings, Communications, and Corporate Affairs the Director, Communications implements and oversees annual association wide communication plans to highlight Association activities and/or products and services, as well as address specific issues and/or concerns in line with the Strategic Plan. Implements and maintains a comprehensive, proactive public relations program for the Association to position AABB as the primary media source for the transfusion medicine and cellular therapies community. Meeting the total public relations requirements of a multi-tiered membership organization is a primary task. Provides leadership and direction to the department staff, i) for production of all newsletters, electronic media and other communication vehicles, ii) press releases and other externally targeted materials ; iii) association annual service awards and iv) speeches for AABB leadership. Develops overall communication internal and external strategy in collaboration with key staff.
- Oversee production of all periodic communication vehicles, including a daily e-newsletter, AABB SmartBrief; a weekly e-newsletter, AABB Weekly Report; and a monthly print and digital magazine, AABB News, as well as various quarterly e-newsletters.
- Oversee development of related Web content.
- Direct preparation of annual report upon request.
- Maintain production control to ensure a zero error rate that would affect advertising revenues.
- Direct background research on issues of importance to the association and its membership.
- Prepare the budget and evaluate expenses for all communications and PR programs.
- Contribute articles and editorial expertise when required.
- Review and edit marketing department materials that support AABB programs and services.
- Spearhead the development of an overall communications strategy.
- Develop communication plans as needed.
- Support Inter-organizational Disaster Task Force (TF) activities with recommendations relating to media outreach,; develop and implement messaging response for clear, consistent messaging
- Manage all aspects of the Association’s social media initiatives and ensure appropriate messaging.
- Distribute materials to appropriate media contacts and field media inquiries.
- Be available 24/7/365 unless responsibilities are expressly delegated in accord with supervisor permission.
- Serve as the officially designated spokesperson for the Association concerning matters dealing with the safety and adequacy of the nation’s blood supply. Responsible for identifying and working with those in Association leadership positions (CEO/President/Committee Chairs) who can speak to specific technical inquiries. Develop/draft all applicable materials to accomplish this task.
- Serve as staff liaison for AABB’s Awards Committee. Direct AABB’s Annual Awards Program, including management of the process for determining selection of AABB’s nine prestigious Memorial Awards, 8 Awards of Merit, 2 Outstanding Achievement Awards and the President’s Award. Handle diplomatically issues that arise with Board members, Committee chairs, staff liaisons and award recipients.
- Ensure that the AABB is a primary source for information on policies and current issues in blood banking and safety of the blood supply by creating and maintaining a proactive media program. This program will include both trade and lay media—print and electronic. Every media exposure regarding blood safety should have an AABB message.
- Draft speeches for AABB Board of Directors/Executive Board.
- Contribute articles and editorial/proofreading expertise when required.
- Research and write messaging material detailing AABB’s positions for media and public dissemination.
- Generate ongoing and proactive interest in AABB through news releases and press conferences based on issues or significant announcements.
- Plan and implement information gathering projects that benefit AABB members and the blood banking community as a whole. These may include, but are not limited to public opinion polls and community-based focus group programs.
- Produce press releases in support of association activities.
- Address a variety of individuals and groups on AABB-related public relations issues and deliver presentations at appropriate venues.
- Compile fiscal year accomplishments and prepare speeches/outline of speeches for association officers.
- Monitor, evaluate and suggest new approaches for all internal and external communications, focusing on social media outlets such as Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.